Friday, August 7, 2009

Senior pass


About 20 years ago we sat in a line to get into the campground at Organ Pipe National Monument, a neat place thenm, a very dangerous place today -- drugs and illegal border crossings will do that. After about 20 minutes of inhaling diesel fumes from the $300,000 GMAC motor home in front of us, the volunteer lady finally came to our rental car window and said "oh you won't have a gold age passport". I took that as my cue to light into her about the unfairness of giving a break to those driving vehicles that cost about 6 times the average Joe's net worth. But times change and I grow older, 62 to be exact and I now qualify for the Golden Age Passport. I went to the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore visitor center, showed my ID and paid my $10 and am now the proud owner of passport # 912887303. This qualifies me for 1/2 price admission and camping fees at NPS, NFS, BLM and NWR areas. Since we camped 2 nites at Bay Furnace which would normally be $16 per nite, the card had an immediate payback of $16 or a 60% return on my $10 investment. Since I'm an accountant I'm pretty sure this is correct and it will only get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment